The Stewart Center is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization serving children and families in the Pittsburgh community of Atlanta. The Center strives to promote strong communities through educational initiatives, wellness resources, and housing solutions.
As The Kindezi School’s exclusive After School partner, the Stewart Center’s program supports students’ intellectual and emotional development, provides life-changing enrichment, and builds enduring relationships with Pittsburgh families.
The After School Program will
- Increase students’ academic achievement.
- Foster character growth in all students.
- Establish enduring relationships with families in order to promote children’s well- being through family and community stability.
The Andrew P. Stewart Center is seeking a qualified candidate to serve as a Classroom Leader in our After School Program. We are looking for exceptional candidates who are confident, passionate, organized, patient, creative, and flexible. He or she must have a passion for kids and strong motivation for serving under-resourced communities.
Our Classroom Leaders provide support to our after school program by:
- leading a group of approximately 10 students
- creating a structured, safe, and engaging classroom environment
- building positive relationships with all students
- implementing positive behavior management techniques
- implementing weekly academically enriching lesson plans
- leading and engaging students in academic enrichment opportunities, hands-on experiential projects, community service projects, and other age appropriate activities.
- actively supervising all homework help and classroom activities for small group
- supporting and assisting Studio Educators during instructional time
- engaging volunteers in ways that are appropriate for and beneficial to students
- assisting with preparation and clean-up for daily activities
- attending family and community events hosted by Stewart Center
- Able to have fun with kids, but also able to communicate respectfully and confidently to students to provide direction
- Able to verbally communicate with peers, supervisors, and partners
- Possess strong time management and organizational skills
- Demonstrates punctuality
- Able to work well with others from diverse backgrounds
- Experience with elementary education/youth development
- Available to serve Monday-Friday, from approximately 3:00pm – 6:30pm
- Actively able and willing to participate in activities
- Passionate about community service
*This position requires employees to be able to make a commitment to serve every day of the week, Monday – Friday, from approximately 3:00pm to 6:30pm, excluding school breaks and holidays*
Date Requirements: July 25, 2018 – May 24, 2019
- Start Dates:
- July 25-July 27: Orientation and Training Days
- August 1: First Day of Programs
- Our after school program follows the Kindezi schools calendar. There are no programs during school breaks or holidays. See the full calendar here: http://www.kindezi.org/calendar/
How to apply:
If you are interested in serving at the Stewart Center please contact our Program Director, Ashley Hicks, at email@example.com. Attach a resume and cover letter with your initial contact.